
Day 2: All classes all period...I started the kids out this year with a Power Teaching rules lesson and even today (day 4) the students know the rules. Then we did the apple observation lab and the kids really really loved it. More than one kid commented that he had not ever thought about people in other countries possibly not knowing what an apple is because they might not be grown there or imported.
Day 3: We went over the apple observation lab, and did a Ghost Crystal lab. Now you know yor really score as a teacher when a student tells his or her friends "DUDE! THIS IS WHY I LOVE SCIENCE! This year I was prepared for follow up what if experiments. Like one student wanted to know what would happen in a ghost crystal was placed in Kool-Aid. We ended up testing vegetable oil, salt water, and sugar water. It was SO worth the extra effort. I then did a disappearing beaker trick where I poured Wesson Oil into a 1000mL beaker after first
placing a smaller beaker inside it. The students were asked to record their observations and even after being fooled by the ghost crystals they didn't observe the beaker so they were fooled twice in one class period and that really stunned them.Day 4: Today I rested a bit and used a Safety Symbol Search that I "borrowed" from Eboni. While it was a worksheet, because the students had to really stretch their imaginations I think they learned something........
Well, tomorrow I will be eating candles. So, I will have someone take pictures and I will post those.

No comments:
Post a Comment